Burdge Mill Grist Stones
"The Village that Grew", by Ruth B. Lyons, 1979, p. 29:
In October of 1864, (Doc) William Burdge and his emigrant outfit, the finest equipped that ever entered the village, came grinding down the Camel's Back into Payette Valley. He brought the first Roan Durham cattle and Morgan strain horses to Idaho.
The Burdges, like most of the valley pioneers, settled near the river. They purchased part of the Block House Ranch located two miles west of Martinsville. The north side of the property extended to the river enabling Mr. Burdge to build a private ditch . . .
In 1874, he hauled stone grinding wheels from Eagle and set up a grist-mill. The stones came originally from Canyon Hill northwest of Caldwell.
In Emmett City Park, by fireplace
"Stones from first grist mill in Emmett Valley. "Doc" Wm. Curry Burdge and Mary Chandler Burdge, arrived in Emmett 1864 by covered wagon from Pleasant, Iowa. This marker in loving memory, by Burdge descendants. 1964."
Copyright © 2009 - Sharon McConnel. All Rights Reserved.
GENWEB Projects are made up of volunteers with the goal of making free genealogical data and resources available to researchers. Thank you for visiting.